The Ministry of Environment, Waters and Forests is the Programme Operator for the “Environment, Climate Change Adaptation and Ecosystems” Programme (RO-Environment), funded by the European Economic Area (EEA) Financial Mechanism 2014 – 2021.
As part of the RO-Environment Programme, Botoșani Municipality, as Project Promoter, together with the National Institute for Research and Development for the Protection of the Environment Bucharest (INCDPM Bucharest), signed on November 24, 2022, the financing contract no. 25247/24.11.2022 for the implementation of the Project ’’Closure of temporary municipal waste landfills in Botoşani Municipality, Botoşani County’’.
The total value of the project is 12,369,750.00 lei, of which 12,369,750.00 lei represents non-refundable financial assistance: 10,514,287.50 lei from the EEA Financial Mechanism (85%) and 1,855,462.50 lei from the national budget (15%). The project implementation period is between November 24, 2022 and April 30, 2024.
The general objective of the project is to increase the capacity of Botoșani Municipality to manage/reduce/eliminate the risks generated by hazardous substances and municipal waste, during the 18 months of project implementation.
The proposed specific objectives are:
- Determining the impact of the closure of 3 temporary municipal waste storage sites on the environment, within 18 months of project implementation;
- Planning and implementation of the plan of measures to close the 3 temporary municipal waste warehouses, during the 18 months of project implementation;
- Promotion of the pilot intervention carried out with the support of the EEA Financial Mechanism 2014-2021, during the 18 months of project implementation.
The results foreseen in the project:
- 3 informative events – 1 conference at the beginning of the project, 1 workshop to present the results after 9 months of project implementation; 1 project completion conference;
- 3 Reports on the environmental impact of the closure of temporary municipal waste storage sites (3 depots);
- A plan for monitoring the environmental factors during the completion of the closing works of the temporary municipal waste storage sites;
- 2 awareness meetings on the impact of hazardous substances and municipal waste on the environment and public health;
- 3 temporary municipal waste storage facilities closed according to legal provisions;
- 1 best practice guide on the closure of temporary municipal waste storage sites. This guide can also be used by other public authorities for their own locations, thus contributing to increasing the risk management capacity determined by the hazardous substances in the body of the storage facilities.
The Mayor of Botoșani Municipality – Cosmin Ionuț Andrei – email@example.com
Project Manager – Bogdan Gabriel Bețenchi – firstname.lastname@example.org