The University of Bucharest, Faculty of Geography is the main Partner in the implementation of the Project Development of mitigation and adaptation plans of Câmpulung Municipality, implemented by the Ministry of Environment, Waters and Forests, through the RO-Environment Programme, with funding through the Financial Mechanism of the European Economic Area (EEA ) 2014-2021. The project is coordinated by the City Hall of the Câmpulung municipality and also has the Liechtenstein Institute for Sustainable Development as a Partner.
The aim of ADAPT Câmpulung is to contribute to increasing the climate resilience of natural and human systems and to guide social and economic activities towards climate neutrality.
The general objectives of ADAPT Campulung are:
- Promoting measures aimed at ensuring climate neutrality at the level of Câmpulung municipality;
- The promotion of measures aimed at increasing the capacity to adapt to climate change of the municipality of Câmpulung;
- Ensuring the database necessary to manage the relevant aspects for mitigating and adapting to climate change in the municipality of Câmpulung;
- Public awareness, increasing responsibility and support for measures to mitigate and adapt to climate change in Câmpulung municipality;
- Strengthening administrative and management capacity for climate change mitigation and adaptation;
- Effective cooperation between all categories of factors involved (administration, business environment, civil society) to improve the effectiveness of measures to mitigate and adapt to climate change.
For each of the general objectives, specific objectives were established, and for each specific objective, actions, with the mention of the implementation period, the managers and partners or the possible sources of funding.
The main result of the project is the development of the Strategy and plan for mitigating and adapting to climate change in the municipality of Câmpulung (ADAPT Câmpulung).
In accordance with General Objective 4 (Public awareness, increased responsibility and support for measures to mitigate and adapt to climate change in the municipality of Câmpulung), prof.dr. Cristian Iojă and conf. dr. Ionuț Săvulescu from the Faculty of Geography of the University of Bucharest, gave lectures to children from the 7th and 8th grades of the “Nanu Muscel” Secondary School, coordinated by Prof. Dalina Bădițescu, about what climate change means, what are the effects at the level of natural ecosystems, how anthropogenic activities and the health of the population are affected, what are the methods of mitigation and adaptation to climate change and how they are recognized or applied at the local level.
The activity also provided for a practical application carried out at local level, where aspects related to anthropogenic changes made to the environment with a role in accelerating climate change were discussed. A visit was made to SC CERAMUS SA (manufacturer of construction materials – brick) and the entire technological flow was explained to the students – starting from the extraction of the raw material, clay, to its primary processing and up to the shaping, drying and firing of the bricks.
Awareness of climate change and the fact that humans contribute decisively to these changes, is the first step to increase the level of responsibility towards the environment and improve pro-active behavior for mitigating and adapting to climate change. Educating children in this spirit is decisive for a clean and functional environment.